Make all new symbols go through std.experimental?

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 28 02:18:42 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 28 October 2015 at 09:08:08 UTC, Robert burner
Schadek wrote:
> 3. Every move of code from experimental to stable will require
> user interaction. I thought we were trying to not break old
> code nowadays.

Yeah. By putting stuff in std.experimental, we guarantee that
we're going to break the code of anyone using it, whereas if we
put it in std, we only have to break their code if we have to in
order to make a fix (be it a bug fix or an API fix). The only
upside to putting it in std.experimental in that regard is that
folks should then expect that their code will be broken (and
presumably trivially fixed), whereas normally, their code
shouldn't break due to changes in std. It _will_ happen upon
occasion whether we want it to or not though.

I'm not completely against this proposed change, but it really
does feel like it would just be adding extra churn without really
adding much value (occasional value, probably, but in most cases,
probably not).

- Jonathan M Davis