Make all new symbols go through std.experimental?

Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 28 03:06:36 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 28 October 2015 at 09:55:10 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> A: Great, it's merged! When can I start using it?
>
> B: I don't know, maybe in a year or so?

To expand on this a bit:

The obvious counter-argument is "why not just import
std.experimental"? Well, this is not really a solution if you are
writing a library, or an application distributed as source.
Importing std.experimental is essentially consenting to putting a
time bomb in your code. Any library / source-distributed program
should also support compiling with a range of D versions (because
of e.g. compiler regressions, LDC and GDC lagging behind), and
although you could static-if import this or that, it's not really
a solution.

Thus, you need to wait for the std.experimental PR to be merged
into master, then for master to be merged into stable, then for a
stable release to be made, then presumably for someone to make a
PR to be made to move the feature out of std.experimental, then
again for that to get into stable and be released, and then 1-2
more releases for GDC and LDC to catch up to the version of
Phobos which has this feature.