I have this game engine...

Nerve via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Oct 31 23:45:14 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 1 November 2015 at 02:35:49 UTC, Manu wrote:
> In terms of what I've used commercially, Fuji is the platform
> abstraction and core concept implementation that lives below
> the layer that the high-level interacts with. Editors and
> tooling (I feel this is what you're talking about when you
> start using words like 'Unity' or 'Unreal') typically impose
> particular design decisions wrt scene-graph, physics
> implementations, etc. The goal of Fuji is not to be Unity, it's
> intended to be the platform which you could build Unity above,
> and all commercial engines I've had contact with do have such a
> layer.
>
> I'm not sure if that answers your question.
> For what it's intended to be, Fuji is quite comprehensive. As a
> full-game-engine a-la Unity/Unreal, it needs all the high-level
> stuff
> built on top. The reason I didn't touch that, is because that
> layer is
> extremely subjective, and there are no right/wrong answers
> there. I
> also change my mind on that stuff every year or 2. Whereas the
> lower
> level is a lot less subjective, and it's been more-or-less
> constant
> since I started Fuji in 2003. I still wouldn't do it differently
> today, although I have a lot more experience and console
> generations
> to draw wisdom from.

Nonono, you're fine, what I'm looking for is a lightweight engine
that ISN'T like Unity or Unreal and the sophisticated nature of
their tools. Often, their engine design decisions back me into a
corner when it comes to how I want to organize my own project,
and they're oftentimes overkill.

About the only thing I would want to keep from those two monster
engines is some live compilation feature where changes in source,
assets, or UI scripting are immediately apparent in-game. But
that takes a massive amount of work, I understand if it's not a
priority. You have to port the thing to D in the first place, a
significant undertaking in and of itself.

What you have seems to be great, so I'll follow it eagerly.