dmd codegen improvements

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 1 10:14:43 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 1 September 2015 at 16:05:43 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
> On Saturday, 29 August 2015 at 14:44:01 UTC, Casual D user
> wrote:
>> D is advertised as a system's language, but most of the
>> built-in language features require the GC so you might as well
>> just use C if you can't use the GC.
>
> Are you sure about C?

It's been mentioned before that there really isn't much point in
using C when you can use D. Even if you completely avoid the GC
and the standard library, you're _still_ ahead of where you'd be
with C, and you can call C functions trivially. So, you can
definitely use D as a better C; you just lose out on a lot of
cool stuff that D has to offer beyond that. But D has a lot to
offer over C even without using any of that stuff.

One of the first projects I used D for was back in college a
number of years ago where I got sick of some of the issues I was
having with C++ and went with D because it gave me stuff like
array bounds checking. I was using very few of D's features
(heck, D2 was quite young at that point, and I don't think that
ranges had been introduced to Phobos yet at that point, so the
standard library was seriously lacking anyway), but it was still
easier to use D.

- Jonathan M Davis