dmd codegen improvements

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 2 19:02:03 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 2 September 2015 at 20:50:03 UTC, Ola Fosheim
Grøstad wrote:
> On Wednesday, 2 September 2015 at 19:05:32 UTC, Walter Bright
> wrote:
>> On 8/29/2015 9:16 PM, Ola Fosheim Grostad wrote:
>>> Here is a good list:
>>> [...]
>>> 5. Performance.
>>
>> Ironically, you guys complained in this thread when that gets
>> worked on.
>
> I agree that having a native D backend is a good thing. In
> fact, I'd very much like to see WebAssembly/asm.js codegen
> built around a backend that create compact builds since
> download size is an issue. Which is a different kind of
> "performance".
>
> I just don't see how I could use the current backend to achieve
> it. Maybe with your experience you could at some point in the
> future lay the foundation for a new a free backend, that is
> more minimalistic than LLVM, but that also could be used for
> the web?

Adam Ruppe already wrote a javascript backend - it's not
maintained as I guess not so much interest.  Maybe not the
fastest, but it's already been done.  Again, JS not asm.js but I
don't see why a man of your evident ability should find this an
infeasible project were you to be serious about completing it.