dmd codegen improvements

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 2 21:09:33 PDT 2015

On Thu, Sep 03, 2015 at 02:30:39AM +0000, Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Sunday, 30 August 2015 at 16:17:49 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> >On Sunday, 30 August 2015 at 06:07:25 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
> >>Morale is important in long term projects that don't pay off very
> >>quickly, and constant nagging and grumbling doesn't tend to help,
> >>even in the case when it is entirely well founded.
> >
> >Actually, it does help.
>
> There's a big difference between saying "dmd generates code that's
> slow by the standards of modern C++ compilers.  it's an impressive
> accomplishment for a small group, but we ought to do better.  I know
> C++ and asm, and only have a little time, but I would like to help.
> what would be most useful to look at ?"
>
> and something else.
>
> In my experience grumbling without action doesn't tend to lead to the
> change you want in the world.  In theory maybe it should, and someone
> will listen.  But human beings are funny creatures.
[...]

Especially in this forum, where large quantities of discussions,
complaints, grandiose ideas, etc., are produced every day, yet
disappointingly little of it actually results in anything.  Submitting
PRs on Github, or even just submitting bug reports / enhancement
requests, OTOH, produces much more tangible value, in spite of
frequently not even being mentioned here on the forum. As Walter once
said, "Be the change you wish to see."  Somebody else once said, "Talk
is cheap; whining is actually free", which seems especially pertinent to
this forum.

--T