dmd codegen improvements

Ola Fosheim Grostad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 2 21:30:03 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 3 September 2015 at 03:57:39 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On 9/2/2015 7:48 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>> but still i'm meh on the practical usefulness of such things.
>> I guess if you
>> target a canvas and run your code in it that makes more sense
>> but my preferred
>> style is a progressive enhancement webpage where you want to
>> know the browser
>> platform and work with it rather than around it.
>
> I don't see a whole lot of point to generating JS from another
> language. You can't do anything more than JS can do, and you're
> likely to be doing less.

That is silly. asm.js is a very restricted typed subset with
strict rules that allows generation of pure assembly in a
contiguous memory sandbox. It is a completely different setup. If
you move outside those rules the compiler give up and switch to
regular JIT with less restrictions. WebAssembly aims to go beyond
what you can do otherwise  (like multithreading).