dmd codegen improvements

Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 2 23:33:26 PDT 2015

On 3 Sep 2015 8:20 am, "deadalnix via Digitalmars-d" <
digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, 3 September 2015 at 04:30:04 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grostad wrote:

>>> I don't see a whole lot of point to generating JS from another
language. You can't do anything more than JS can do, and you're likely to
be doing less.

>> That is silly. asm.js is a very restricted typed subset with strict
rules that allows generation of pure assembly in a contiguous memory
sandbox. It is a completely different setup. If you move outside those
rules the compiler give up and switch to regular JIT with less
restrictions. WebAssembly aims to go beyond what you can do otherwise
(like multithreading).

> It is twice as slow as native. That's far from allowing generation of
pure assembly.

I have far more faith in gccjit.  But it's more like the orange to a
conventional jit's apples.