dmd codegen improvements

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 3 03:27:42 PDT 2015

On 3 September 2015 at 13:57, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On 9/2/2015 7:48 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>>
>> but still i'm meh on the practical usefulness of such things. I guess if
>> you
>> target a canvas and run your code in it that makes more sense but my
>> preferred
>> style is a progressive enhancement webpage where you want to know the
>> browser
>> platform and work with it rather than around it.
>

> I don't see a whole lot of point to generating JS from another language. You
> can't do anything more than JS can do, and you're likely to be doing less.

You have a pile of existing code, you need to run it on a webpage, and
don't have time/budget to rewrite that code.
Emscripten is an opportunity, it is an enabling technology. Something
that you can do and brings a nice business opportunity that you just
wouldn't do otherwise, as in our case:
http://udserver.euclideon.com/demo/
It would have been great if this were written in D, but we reverted to
C++ because LDC doesn't support Emscripten (yet?).

Our major active project at work also now depends on Emscripten and
PNaCl; 2 exotic LDC targets which would get my office onto D
quicksmart! I've never suffered C++ so violently.