Current state of GUI's

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 3 07:13:23 PDT 2015

On 04/09/15 1:21 AM, motaito wrote:
> On Thursday, 3 September 2015 at 12:51:18 UTC, CraigDillabaugh wrote:
>>
>> Not sure of its current state, but you should check out DOtherSide:
>>
>> https://github.com/filcuc/DOtherSide
>
> Thanks for the link. I will take a closer look at it. But does this also
> mean, that there is no "built in" GUI solution for D?

Short answer:

Don't expect anything in Phobos short term.
In the mean time you'll probably want a c/c++ library such as QT.

Long answer:

We're probably about 2 years away before anything useful and even then
it will have a huge push back unless e.g. Andrei says we must have a GUI
toolkit! We've got money to make it happen.

That's if my work gets into Phobos when I am planning it to (unlikely).

I know its grim, but keep in mind we need a platform abstraction that
supports things like an event loop, window creation independent of what
the system actually supports. An image abstraction with common
manipulation/formats.

Then on top of a platform abstraction some people also need other forms
of event handling and the list goes on.

But I am actively working on an image library and a window + context
creation library for Phobos. It's just a year away.
https://github.com/rikkimax/alphaPhobos

Not to scare you aware or anything, but you probably don't want a pure
Phobos solution anyway.