Current state of GUI's

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 3 08:26:41 PDT 2015

On 04/09/15 3:15 AM, motaito wrote:
> Anyway, I hope you will be successful with alphaPhobos. I think D needs
> it, so don't abandon it! I will keep an eye out and check again in about
> a year or so. But for now I have to rethink whether to use D or not.

Thanks, this is a long term thing. I've been planning this for ~2 years.
Previous was Devisualization (Github org of mine). So a bunch of code
has actually originated here. Before that DOOGLE. Even some of that came
from OOGL (ported it from c++ to D as D_OOGL).

> Out of curiosity, why do you think that I wouldn't want a Phobos
> solution? Wouldn't an integrated solution be better? I would not have to
> maintain a build of an external third party project, that may or may not
> be abandoned in the future, not knowing whether there will be updates,
> bugfixes or missing features to be added. It seams like quite a bit
> extra management for my project if I have to keep a third party project
> up to date and may need to adjust my code due to an update in an
> external project.

Because, at best case the graphics could be very ugly and lacking of
features in a GUI toolkit. We're just too far away from it.

We need to focus on getting the core problems solved. So that people can
flourish with building e.g. GUI toolkits unimpeded by what we support.
Also helps interop between them.

After we have a decent one, then we can consider it for Phobos.
I know the current situation is unfortunate. We've had some pretty major
changes in the last few years and that is ok. I hope we do get to a
point where it is easy to get started in almost any problem domain :)