Current state of GUI's

motaito via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 3 12:40:37 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 3 September 2015 at 18:12:38 UTC, Jim Hewes wrote:
> On 9/3/2015 10:51 AM, motaito wrote:
>> And working in visual studio is really nice
>> too. I wish there was a cross platform IDE like that. I don't
>> quite like
>> the text editor from eclipse, but I haven't used it in a
>> while. Maybe I
>> need to give it another try.
>
> Just in case you hadn't seen it, there is now Visual Studio
> Code:
>
> https://code.visualstudio.com/
>
> Although I haven't really looked at it myself. I don't think it
> can accept plug-ins (yet) such as VisualD so that may rule it
> out.

I forgot about visual studio code. Right now I am trying to move
away from windows products and only support the windows platform
for cross platform reasons. It's a shame though, I used visual
studio for years and it's my favorite IDE. However, I have a
moral issue with the data collection philosophy that windows is
currently trying to enforce. Just like visual studio code, among
the first things you have to agree to is the terms and privacy
policy, which will try to collect as much data as they can. I
think something like visual studio code is their way to get data
from other platforms as well... Otherwise it would look
interesting and I would certainly give it a shot but I try to
support this behavior as little as possible. Thanks for the tip
though!