dmd codegen improvements

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 3 14:58:19 PDT 2015

On 9/3/2015 2:37 PM, David Nadlinger wrote:
> On Thursday, 3 September 2015 at 18:14:45 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> I sometimes wonder what influence it had on clang.
>
> In terms of design, not more than any other C++ compiler would have as far as I
> can tell. Might be interesting for you to have a closer look at it at some point
> though for comparison (it's non-copyleft, so no need to be afraid of lawyers
> there).

Yeah, I'd have to read through the source code. But it's still copyrighted, and
I prefer not to be subject to taint. For years, many people did not believe I
could have created a C++ compiler on my own, and they were quick to believe any
possibility that I didn't. Refusing to look at other compilers helped a lot with
this.

I'm still the only person to have ever created a C++ compiler from front to
back. :-) Of course, DMC++ is a C++98 compiler, and C++ has moved on.