dmd codegen improvements

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 3 15:06:06 PDT 2015

On 9/3/2015 2:28 PM, Ola Fosheim Grostad wrote:
> I expected the list to be longer.

I don't. It takes 10 years to write a C++ compiler, and most companies wanting
to get into the business found it far more practical to buy one as a starting point.

> Which one represents the non-cfront SGI
> compilers? SGI was quite heavily into C++ unlike most of the Unix world.

I don't know, but many companies tended to hide where they got their starting
point. I know about a few of them simply from being in the business and knowing
the players.

It's like VCRs. There were only a couple makers of VCR guts, but a lot of VCR
boxes with different brand names on them that repackaged the same old guts. The
same goes for dishwashers, SD cards, DVD blanks, etc.

EDG licensed their front end to a lot of companies who made their own branded
C++ compilers, such as Intel C++.