Error reporting is terrible

Prudence via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 3 16:56:52 PDT 2015

After being away from D and deciding to test the idea of writing
a commercial app in it, There were 2 big things that have jumped
out at me:

1. The setup is a much compared to most modern day compilers and
software. While VS is huge, obviously has a ton of money behind
it, it installs without much fanfare. When installing VS you know
that ones it's done after a few mins you can jump into
programming and actually get something done.

2. The error messages in D are horrendous. They tend to be terse,
point to places where the error actually doesn't occur, and
almost always require one to loop up the error, if it's not
obvious. This is a waste of time for the programmer. Usually the
more complex code the more crypographic the errors are.

3. Since I use VS, I installed VD. It works up to a point. But is
so ill-integrated into VS that it makes me want to just jump back
into .NET.

D is like a Ferrari owned by someone who doesn't keep it clean,
forgets to change the oil and filters. Sure, it's pretty powerful
but it sure looks ugly and you might not trust it in a race.

VS.NET is like a sleep Lamborghini that's kept in a climate
controlled show room and regularly tuned for performance.