Error reporting is terrible

David DeWitt via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 3 20:26:48 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 3 September 2015 at 23:56:53 UTC, Prudence wrote:
> After being away from D and deciding to test the idea of
> writing a commercial app in it, There were 2 big things that
> have jumped out at me:
>
> 1. The setup is a much compared to most modern day compilers
> and software. While VS is huge, obviously has a ton of money
> behind it, it installs without much fanfare. When installing VS
> you know that ones it's done after a few mins you can jump into
> programming and actually get something done.
>
> 2. The error messages in D are horrendous. They tend to be
> terse, point to places where the error actually doesn't occur,
> and almost always require one to loop up the error, if it's not
> obvious. This is a waste of time for the programmer. Usually
> the more complex code the more crypographic the errors are.
>
> 3. Since I use VS, I installed VD. It works up to a point. But
> is so ill-integrated into VS that it makes me want to just jump
> back into .NET.
>

> D is like a Ferrari owned by someone who doesn't keep it clean,
> forgets to change the oil and filters. Sure, it's pretty
> powerful but it sure looks ugly and you might not trust it in a
> race.
>
> VS.NET is like a sleep Lamborghini that's kept in a climate
> controlled show room and regularly tuned for performance.

I think D is about as easy to install as anything. But then again
I dont use Windows so I dont have 99.9% of the hassles that come
along with that.  Since you didnt provide any examples it is
kinda hard to fix but we can guess at your problems so my
solution would be:

Wipe Windows
Install Arch
Install vim