Current state of GUI's

thedeemon via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 3 23:44:25 PDT 2015

On Friday, 4 September 2015 at 00:11:02 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
wrote:
> On 09/03/2015 01:51 PM, motaito wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, it's a shame that the mono framework does not support
>> WPF.

> I thought Mono did support that. Like in GitExtentions which
> runs fine on Linux (well, aside from frequent crashing). Or is
> WPF different from "win forms"?

Yes, it's totally different. WinForms is based on good old WinAPI
with classical windows, dialogs, controls and GDI for drawing.
WPF is based on a new engine over DirectX with lots of vector
graphics, transformations and effects, everything
GPU-accelerated. They remade everything - windows, controls and
layouts are described declaratively in XAML format (XML-based),
then everything is rendered with that new engine, even text is
drawn differently (and in first versions looked differently).
Mono never had and probably will never have WPF because this
DirectX-based rendering engine is too hard to port.