Did a presentation on a tool I wrote in D

wobbles via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 4 01:43:26 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 3 September 2015 at 20:53:12 UTC, Israel wrote:
> On Thursday, 3 September 2015 at 20:05:14 UTC, wobbles wrote:
>> So, I did a presentation to about 10 colleagues on a tool I
>> wrote to aid in automated testing.
>>
>> Of the 10 (all of us testers by the way, not programmers) 9
>> had never seen the language before, 4 were quite interested in
>> the language after - 2 of which came to me after looking to
>> get more info on how you could do this and that in D, with the
>> intention to go home to install dmd tonight.
>>
>> Most importantly, my manager seemed ultra impressed with it
>> too!
>>
>> So, yeah, very positive experience with the language, thought
>> I'd share! :)
>
> In what professional field was this automated tool use in?
> Would be nice to know.
>
> Were those testers familiar with programming at all?

Our team was tasked with creating a nice CLI installer for our
product, as we've moved to support headless-servers (so no GUI
based installer).
Testing this was a total PITA as it prompted you for info and you
had to babysit it. So, dexpect was made.
http://code.dlang.org/packages/dexpect

Yeah, they would all be familiar with coding in Java/C# to a
university level.

The 2 whom were most interested in the language were the two whom
do the most coding outside work.

The rest were all... meh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯