Current state of GUI's

motaito via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 4 06:23:45 PDT 2015

On Friday, 4 September 2015 at 09:12:23 UTC, Chris wrote:
> Don't give up yet. I've learned that a D GUI is not so
> important. There is a plethora of platforms and devices (mobile
> phones, tablets, PCs etc etc), so it's better not to get
> married to one particular UI. Keep your program GUI-agnostic
> and then you can connect it to any GUI you want. And D is easy
> to connect to: C(++), Lua (LuaD) and Python (PyD).
>
> With D you can concentrate on the program, the GUI could be
> anything. E.g. look at how the DCD/Dscanner plug-in works with
> Textadept and other editors.
>
> https://github.com/Hackerpilot/DCD/wiki/IDEs-and-Editors-with-DCD-support

At first I thought, yes your right. But on second thought that
kind of brings me back to the initial question. I would prefer an
integrated solution, so I don't have the hustle with
dependencies. With your approach, I also have to maintain a
dependency. E.g. if I choose PyD I also need to distribute it to
the end user. I am not even sure, if I would also need to have
python as separate dependency or if it's included in PyD. Either
way while python may be common on Linux, it is not a standard on
Windows. I have the same problem with something like GtkD. The
Gtk Framework is common on Linux but not on windows. I don't have
such issues with QT. There I have all in one package. All I have
to do is include the required dll's. QT is also very common in
many Linux distributions. So, I can just compile and give it to
anyone who is interested without the hustle of more dependencies.
BSD is certainly the most difficult to find a solution. Such a
great OS so little support. But they too have QT. I was hoping to
basically use QT with D instead of C++. Shannon made a post with
an interesting approach. I think I will look more into that
first. But thanks for the tip!