A Small Enhancement Idea

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 4 07:46:11 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 2 September 2015 at 19:34:53 UTC, Jack Stouffer
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 2 September 2015 at 19:15:08 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
>> I wasn't familiar with version(release). Would you need to
>> compile with -version=release then?
>
> No, it seems to work with just the -release flag.
>
> The Python programmer in me hates the inconsistency between
> these two, but it's fine.

It's because -debug has _nothing_ to do with "debug mode." It
simply has to do with debugging. And that makes sense and is
perfectly fine except that it causes confusion when you start
considering -release and "release mode" - especially when folks
have a tendency to call the opposite of "release mode" "debug
mode." So, arguably -debug and version(debug) should have been
something else in order to reduce confusion, but I honestly don't
know what name to use instead, since it _is_ specifically for
debugging.

- Jonathan M Davis