std.Stream.InputStream convenience functions

bitwise via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Sep 5 12:59:01 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 5 September 2015 at 06:15:17 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> On Friday, 4 September 2015 at 22:36:01 UTC, bitwise wrote:
>> On Friday, 4 September 2015 at 14:40:43 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
>> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> Wow...this is surprising. At first glance, the streams seemed
>> to be fairly well done. What's the reason for them being
>> removed? and what is meant to be the replacement?
>
> It's old (from D1) and does not follow the current best
> practices or idioms. If we're going to have a stream solution,
> it needs to be range-based. That being said, ranges in and of
> themselves get pretty close to streams, and there simply hasn't
> been a push to come up with a range-based stream solution where
> the pieces that aren't already part of ranges are taken care
> of. std.stream has been marked as scheduled for deprecation for
> years, and no one has bothered to replace it. It comes up
> periodically, but no one seems to care enough to do anything
> about it. So, rather than leave it in that state, we decided
> that it would be better off to just deprecate it and then get
> rid of it rather than leave it in limbo with the documentation
> saying that it's not up to our standards and that we're going
> to get rid of it at some point. At some point, someone may come
> up with a range-based stream solution and get it into Phobos,
> but until then, we'll just use straight up ranges, which come
> close enough for most cases. std.stdio and std.mmfile make it
> quite possible to operate on files with ranges in a manner
> similar to streams, and std.stdio allows you to operate on
> stdin and stdout in a similar manner (since they're
> std.stdio.Files).
>
> That being said, std.stream is boost-licensed, and anyone is
> free to copy it or fork it so long as the copyright notice is
> left on it. So, anyone who wants to use std.stream in their own
> code even after it's no longer in Phobos is free to do so. It's
> just that the std.stream code is then going to have to be part
> of their project rather than Phobos.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Thanks for the explanation, but could you give an example of how
Stream would be rangified?

In the containers I'm writing, I'm returning a range from the
findAll() function instead of an array:
https://github.com/bitwise-github/d-containers/blob/master/collections/list.d#L901

I suppose any method returning an array/string could work like
this...Is this what you mean?

It doesn't seem like the entire Stream class should have to be
removed to make this change though.