A collection of DIPs

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 7 07:52:19 PDT 2015

On Monday, 7 September 2015 at 14:44:05 UTC, nx wrote:
> https://github.com/NightmareX1337/DX
>
> Don't kill me, I'm just trying to help...

Thanks for taking the time to write up your ideas. There has been
much discussion on the GC in the past and I agree that a
GC-tracking mechanism that can enable precise scanning is needed,
but to get that level of speed you need some of the mechanisms in
Rust.

1. You need to make sure that pointers to the interior of a GC
object are not live when the last pointer to the start of the GC
objects disappears.

2. You need to annotate C functions that take pointers with a
guarantee that they don't hold on to references through that
pointer. Or simply ban C functions from taking GC memory.

What do you think?