A collection of DIPs

BBasile via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 7 08:34:18 PDT 2015

On Monday, 7 September 2015 at 14:44:05 UTC, nx wrote:
> https://github.com/NightmareX1337/DX
>
> Don't kill me, I'm just trying to help...
>
> You can report issues and create pull requests :)
>
>> Destroy!

OK, here are a few comments on what i agree with or not. The
other point simply don't interest me.

####
## Managed, unmanaged, something between? - pointers

You can already create, allocate new class, struct and union
instances that are not known by the GC.
This is not well known because I've explained this several time
on several boards to several people. So this proposal is simply
consequence of a lack of knowledge.

But, even if... using the '^' symbol, would be bad since it's
already used to xor.

####
## Why need alias this while we have opCast?

an "alias this" expression doesn't require to cast.
Maybe you don't really see "alias this" as it is widely used:
- custom type.
- composition.

So your proposal to use cast is pointless.

####
## InExpression is meaningless

No it doesn't. :)

####
## ?? operator

Yes, the 'Null coalescing operator' would be great.

####
## Templates should use exclamation!

No, you can clearly differentiate declaration from instantiation
thanks to the current syntax.

####
## friend classes

You can put the classes in different modules and then 'private'
and 'protected' are sufficient to get something like friend
classes.