Parameterized unittests and benchmarks (aka quickfix + benchmark) PR 2995

Robert burner Schadek via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 8 02:20:06 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 8 September 2015 at 09:07:10 UTC, Edwin van Leeuwen
wrote:
> Just to be clear. The PR is to add the needed ground work for
> adding benchmark, or does it also add some benchmarks itself?

The PR adds benchmarks for some functions of std.string.

> It does seem a bit of a shame not to use the unittests at all
> for baseline benchmarks. The unittests already exist, with
> reasonable good coverage. Getting good benchmark coverage by
> writing specific/new benchmarks would mean a huge amount of
> extra effort.

I disagree, the unittests in phobos are often very short, only
test corner cases, test regression fix, serve add doc unittests
or do some basic sanity checking.

Benchmarks have other requirements.