Reasons to use D

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 11 05:30:40 PDT 2015

On Friday, 11 September 2015 at 11:52:20 UTC, Chris wrote:
> Out of curiosity I searched for "reasons to use D" and I found
> this:
>
> http://blog.pluralsight.com/d-programming-language-explained
>
> This paragraph called my attention:
>
> "At the same time, D doesn’t get all New Age on you: It doesn’t
> try to be multi-paradigm, it doesn’t claim “five percent better
> than C” performance, nor does it provide any language features
> that dramatically alter the existing object-oriented
> programming status quo."
>
> Sorry, but D _is_ multi-paradigm and it does challenge (not
> actively though) the OOP "status quo". I haven't written a
> class for a long time now, and I don't really miss it. D does
> not go against OOP in an ideological kind of way, but it
> clearly shows other ways of doing things.

Then again, there are a lot of multi-paradigm platforms. I think
C++ apologizers  say  "C++ is multi-paradigm" where others say
"C++ is a messy hack". It sounds better.

Multi paradigm: JVM, .NET, Common Lisp... even JavaScript could
be framed as multi paradigm. Single paradigm: Forth, Scheme...
And... eh?

Here is another source for external D evaluations I missed,
January 2015:

http://developers.slashdot.org/story/15/01/20/2026221/is-d-an-underrated-programming-language

I find the viewpoints of the student who wrote 18000 lines of D
code interesting.