module std.stream is deprecated - Will be removed by phobos version 2.070

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 11 16:32:01 PDT 2015

> On Friday, 11 September 2015 at 20:29:56 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/3631
>>
>> Apparently it was decided at DConf 2015 to remove std.stream and
>> friends from Phobos. But these modules have been left untouched (i.e.
>> they're "stable") for a long time, and there's a lot of D code using
>> them. This decision seems to go in an opposite direction to other
>> recent decisions (i.e. that we stop breaking code). Is everyone (incl.
>> Walter AND Andrei) on board with this?
>
> Walter and Andrei publicly agreed at dconf that it should be removed.

That's right. I remember I said something like "it deserves a burial".
It was on the spur of the moment; after that I figured I should have
better said "Does it prevent anyone from writing good code? It's not in
the documentation, so no new code will use it. Leave it be for now, no
reason to do anything for a while".

> After that, as Martin points out, it should go in undead where folks can
> continue to use it if they really want to. But I don't think that code
> should simply stop compiling within a sixth month period. I'm all for
> deprecating and removing stuff that we want to get rid of and really
> don't like keeping it around long term, but we need a deprecation cycle
> that gives folks time to fix their code, and sadly, a note in the
> documentation really doesn't seem to be enough of a warning.

Undead is a great idea at least because it's a good place to park
documentation for legacy code. In fact we should move undead to the
dlang repo (now it's in digitalmars).

Let's let std.stream lay low for a while more, it's really not
preventing anything from happening.

Andrei