std.allocator ready for some abuse

bitwise via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 14 07:46:20 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 12 September 2015 at 06:45:16 UTC, bitwise wrote:
> [...]
>
> Alternatively, GC.addRange() could return a value indicating
> whether or not the range had actually been added(for the first
> time) and should be removed.
>
>    Bit

Maybe the solution is as simple as specifying the state of memory
that should be received from an untyped allocator.

It could be explicitly stated that an untyped allocator should
give out raw memory, and should not initialize it's content or
add any ranges to the GC. While it may seem obvious for a C++
allocator not to initialize it's contents, I think this makes
sense in the presence of a GC.

I would appreciate some feedback on this.

    Bit