Operator overloading or alternatives to expression templates

Timon Gehr via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 14 12:35:38 PDT 2015

> On 09/13/2015 10:06 AM, Martin Nowak wrote:
>> - language regularization
>>
>>    It's surprising to find these "arbitrary" language limitations.
>>    The non-predictability of what's possible has always been a huge issue
>> for me with C++, i.e. you come up with an idea, spend 4 hours
>> implementing it only to find out that the small detail x isn't feasible.
>
> This is the case in all powerful languages.

That's an overgeneralization.

Furthermore, having arbitrary designed-in irregularities is not
comparable to implementing a system whose emergent behavior is not
understood sufficiently well. (D is guilty of both, but the former is
much easier to fix than the latter.)

> Martin Odersky told me there's a constant problem with Scala ...

Both C++ and Scala have accidentally Turing-complete type systems.