Implement the "unum" representation in D ?

ponce via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 15 01:24:27 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 15 September 2015 at 07:57:01 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> On Tuesday, 15 September 2015 at 07:07:20 UTC, ponce wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 15 September 2015 at 05:16:53 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
>>>
>>> The guy seems to have good credential. Why should I read that
>>> book ?
>>
>> The sample chapter dissipates a bit the marketing cloud.
>> One of the ideas is that the imprecise bit encode an interval
>> between 2 values, hence automatically computing the
>> "precision" of a computation without analysis.
>
> Read it. That is suddenly much less impressive, but much more
> sensible.

I can see this being useful since nowadays in the native space we
often choose between single and double precision with ad-hoc oral
rules and learned habits rather than measuring precision.

However if unum aren't fast, they will be only for prototyping
and the real algorithm would rely on IEEE floats with different
precision characteristics, so yeah hardware is critical.