Implement the "unum" representation in D ?

deadalnix via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 16 13:53:35 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 16 September 2015 at 20:30:36 UTC, Ola Fosheim
Grøstad wrote:
> On Wednesday, 16 September 2015 at 20:06:43 UTC, deadalnix
> wrote:
>> You know, when you have no idea what you are talking about,
>> you can just move on to something you understand.
>
> Ah, nice move. Back to your usual habits?

Stop

>> Prefetching would not change anything here. The problem come
>> from variable size encoding, and the challenge it causes for
>> hardware. You can have 100% L1 hit and still have the same
>> problem.
>
> There is _no_ cache. The compiler fully controls the layout of
> the scratchpad.

You are the king of goalspot shifting. You answer about x86
decoding you get served.

You want to talk about a scraptch pad ? Good ! How do the data
ends up in the scratchpad to begin with ? Using magic ? What is
the scraptchpad made of if not flip flops ? If if so, how is it
different from a cache as far as the hardware is concerned ?

You can play with words, but the problem remain the same. When
you get on chip memory, be it cache or scratchpad, and a variadic
encoding, you can't even feed a handful of ALUs. How do you
expect to feed 256+ VLIW cores ? There are 3 order of magintude
of gap in your reasoning.

You can't pull 3 orders of magnitude out of your ass and just
pretend it can be done.

>> That's hardware 101.
>
> Is it?

Yes wire is hardware 101. I mean seriously, if one do not get how
component can be wired together, one should probably abstain from
making any hardware comment.

> You cannot predict at this point what the future will be like.
> Is it unlikely that anything specific will change status quo?
> Yes. Is it highly probable that something will change status
> quo? Yes. Will it happen over night. No.
>
> 50+ years has been invested in floating point design. Will this
> be offset over night, no.
>
> It'll probably take 10+ years before anyone has a different
> type of numerical ALU on their desktop than IEEE754. By that
> time we are in a new era.

Ok listen that is not complicated.

I don't know what car will come out next year? But I know there
won't be a car that can go 10000km on 10 centiliter of gazoline.
This would be physic defying stuff.

Same thing you won't be able to feed 256+ cores if you load data
sequentially.

Don't get me this stupid we don't know what's going to happen
tomorow bullshit. We won't have unicorn meat in supermarkets. We
won't have free energy. We won't have interstellar travel. And we
won't have the capability to feed 256+ cores sequentially.

I gave you numbers you gave me bullshit.