dmd codegen improvements

Bruno Medeiros via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 17 04:47:35 PDT 2015

On 17/09/2015 08:10, Joakim wrote:
> Yeah, I was a bit stunned that that is what Bruno took from your post.
> I don't think anybody would question that writing a C or C++ compiler in
> the '80s and '90s had value, and I'm sure you did pretty well off them,
> considering you retired at 42
> (http://www.drdobbs.com/architecture-and-design/how-i-came-to-write-d/240165322).

I didn't say that Walter's previous work didn't bring *any* value to the
software world. It's not like people challenged him to write efficient
lolcode or brainfuck(*) compilers, or some other silly challenge, which
if he did would have a been a massive waste of time - even if it was
technically a very admirable feat.

(*) - Yeah those languages weren't around at the time, but that's just
an example.

My point was that one would certainly bring *more* value to the software
world, if that is the primary focus of one's career, instead of merely
proving people wrong.

That doesn't mean either one has to be an emotionless robot that never
does something just for the sake of ego-boosting (which is really the
only reward of proving people wrong - unless there are some monetary or
other resources at stake). But Walter has so many stories of "I did this
[massive project] to prove people wrong." which is what makes me wonder
if there isn't too much focus on ego validation.

--
Bruno Medeiros
https://twitter.com/brunodomedeiros