Dazz new description for D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 18 00:58:03 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 17 September 2015 at 23:39:50 UTC, Andy Smith wrote:
> weeks later I can see it wasn't a particularly constructive
> comment so I apologize! I like to think of myself as being a
> wee bit classier than that which is probably why I've taken a
> while to respond.

No need to apologize. The british class system was the point of
my comment. Russel said he was "liberal". When a british person
says he is "liberal" it tells me nothing, except it most
certainly isn't "scandinavian liberal". I'd have to figure out
what parts of the british class system he associates himself with
to give it some kind of meaning. British humour seems to go all
the way from rough working class humor to Alan Carr/Russel Brand
to stiff upper lip humor. What kind of humor is acceptable in
"liberal" Britain? Is there a norm?

> Just to clarify, I honestly wasn't trolling. Chivalry is not
> really on my radar either way, and being from the North East
> coast of Scotland I've learned not to mess with your fellow
> Norwegians (of either gender :-) )

Neh, I think most like some chivalry, but then there are the ones
that think your are hitting on them or that will get annoyed if
you open the door for them. I've noticed it helps with grey
beard... "clueless sweet old man that tries to be helpful" seems
to work out.

> *However* at the risk of sounding like a complete 'PC' prude. I
> feel (very respectfully!) that comments such as the 'D-cup' one
> should be left out of the public D fora. I'm currently not in
> Norway (nor Scotland) but working for a U.S. based firm, where
> the humour certainly doesn't translate that well.

I am very much opposed to the banning of words. It makes for a
very shallow understanding of what is discriminating and not. It
just moves the negatives to a level where you cannot address it.

If one cannot point out that one shouldn't make a particular type
of joke, because the mere acknowledgment that such jokes exists
is problematic then it goes too far IMO.

What annoyed me was that you implied that I enjoy D-cup jokes or
thought we should be making them. I don't. For those to be funny
you have to view breasts as taboo or think that big breasts
deserve some kind of special status or make women more appealing.
I don't. But I've noticed that they tend to come up regularly in
nerdy english-speaking forums, so I simply wondered what it
actually means to be "liberal" when it comes to humour.
Apparently bras are too much to be "english liberal", whatever
that means...