DUB release candidate 0.9.24-rc.3 ready for testing

BBasile via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 18 19:49:05 PDT 2015

On Friday, 18 September 2015 at 14:59:34 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
wrote:
> On 09/18/2015 04:37 AM, BBasile wrote:
>>
>> I find that the feature to get a particular property
>> (`--data=X`) is
>> very slow, is it normal ? On a decently recent machine it takes
>> something like 3 or 4 seconds. Maybe it downloads or check the
>> deps
>> while it's not necessary ?
>
> It still has to do all the usual processing to read
> dub.json/dub.sdl and build up all the package information for
> the current package and all dependencies. Should be about the
> same as plain old "dub describe".
>
> I suppose for some information that might not be strictly
> necessary, but I suspect that adjusting dub's
> package-information-gathering to be more lazy might take some
> major refactoring. And I'm not sure how much that would
> realistically gain in typical real-world scenarios.
>
> If you need multiple pieces of information, you can specify
> `--data=X` multiple times in the same call to dub. Or a
> comma-separated list: `--data=X,Y,X`. That way the up-front
> processing would only be needed once, and not repeated for each
> piece of data.

I see. This extra latency also exists when we build but usually
people don't notice it because they would think it's due to
compilation.

I thought I could use this feature in Coedit
(https://github.com/BBasile/Coedit/issues/10) rather than making
a custom (and possibly erroneous) interpretation of a DUB project
file but honestly with this problem I don't see how this switch
can be used.