Moving back to .NET

PovGuy via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 21 07:00:41 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 20 September 2015 at 17:32:53 UTC, Adam wrote:
> My experiences with D recently have not been fun.
>
> The language itself has a top notch feature rich set. The
> implementation, excluding bugs, feels a bit boxy and old
> school. .NET has a unified approach and everything seems to fit
> together nicely and feels consistent. The abomination of dmd,
> though, is it's error messages. Most of them are meaningless
> and you have to dive down 2 or 3 levels of assumptions to
> figure out what they mean. It's not too bad but because of the
> poor tool set it makes it difficult to debug apps.
>
> Visual D, a mighty attempt to bring some sanity to D in
> windows, is simply to unpolished to work well. It brings the
> looks of Visual Studio but not the feel of how VS works so well
> with .NET. I spend over an order of magnitude more time trying
> to fix D bugs than I do in .NET. Unfortunately this makes it
> infeasible to continue to use D.
>
> For example, I build a ~10k line app in under a week in .NET,
> with gui and everything. In D I'm still working on getting the
> libraries build. Even with all the power D has, what good is it
> if you can't get off the starting line. Some will write this
> off making some assumption, So be it.
>
> .NET is a bliss to work in, D is drudgery. If only MS would
> build a D compiler similar to what it has done with C#. No
> offense to all those who have worked hard on D, someone has to
> do it. For me, .NET is like heaven, D is like hell: It's almost
> exclusively due to the error messages and IDE. I know many here
> will write off such complaints, So be it.
>
> My main concern with .NET is portability and performance. I am
> going to give in to the portability and just assume Mono is
> good enough. Performance wise, I'd prefer D, but .NET is
> performant enough for most apps. Maybe in a few years things
> will change, I can't wait that long. Sorry guys! (not that you
> will miss me)
>
> Remember, no reason to have the sharpest sword if you can't
> wield it.

D is community driven. It's what people want it to be.

One thing: don't expect to master it in two weeks, particularly
if you want it to be like your motherland language, like your
comfort zone. From your conclusion it looks like you want to stay
in your comfort zone, that's up to you but don't give up like
this.

Give a chance on D on your free time to understand it.
Particularly because the standard library let you incredibly free
to choose between data oriented, oop, fp programming and in all
the cases the algorithms will be compatible...that's really a
**major** aspect of D (reflected in the standard lib).