Moving back to .NET

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 21 23:03:24 PDT 2015

On Monday, 21 September 2015 at 19:15:28 UTC, Maxim Fomin wrote:
> On Sunday, 20 September 2015 at 17:32:53 UTC, Adam wrote:
>> My experiences with D recently have not been fun.

>> My main concern with .NET is portability and performance. I am
>> going to give in to the portability and just assume Mono is
>> good enough. Performance wise, I'd prefer D, but .NET is
>> performant enough for most apps. Maybe in a few years things
>> will change, I can't wait that long. Sorry guys! (not that you
>> will miss me)
>
> OK, the frustration is understandable. D is good enough to
> impress in short-run but has problems damaging itself in the
> long run. This leads to impression -> frustration cycle.

Well, that may or may not be true.  But someone who finds the
error messages offputting isn't a good exemplar of putative
deficiencies that show up in the long run, because these are part
of the initial learning curve and after a year or two or
experience it's really unlikely to be a main factor in
determining choice of framework.  Whereas it's understandable
that in the beginning it can be a big source of frustration.  And
if you leave the Microsoft ecosystem, I am not sure that D fares
so badly in relation to a certain C family language that has had
a big influence.

He didn't say how long he had been using D for, but as others
point out one underestimates how much one knows in relation to
existing languages, and forgets that it is a degree of work over
months and years to learn something new...

A better example of long run deficiencies might be the guy here
who tried to use D at work for embedded systems, which involved
making his own runtime etc, and who gave up, at least for a
while, in frustration.  On the other hand, it's always tough to
try to be the first to do something, especially when your career
is at stake.

> Either you need portability and you care what Mono does, or you
> don't.
Commercial decisions are often a matter of tradeoffs.  Eg for
internal enterprise software you might find it valuable to be
able to run on both linux and windows, but you can always make it
a service on windows if linux is too much trouble.