DUB release candidate 0.9.24-rc.3 ready for testing

BBasile via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 21 23:04:59 PDT 2015

On Monday, 21 September 2015 at 09:42:44 UTC, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
> Am 18.09.2015 um 10:37 schrieb BBasile:
>> [...]
>
> In the context of an IDE, I'd strongly recommend to use the
> normal "dub describe" functionality. The "packages" field will
> list the logical packages, suitable for display in the IDE's
> project tree and the "targets" field will contain the list of
> binary targets, suitable as the input for external build tools.
> All of this comes at once with a single process invocation.
>
> The --data= functionality is more useful for shell scripts and
> the like, where data is needed in condensed form. I'm also
> pretty sure that there are still some issues to work out in the
> way the --data switch works, because in its current form it
> simply cannot represent everything. So I'd label this feature
> as experimental for now.
>
> There are some things that may take time during a DUB run:
>  - Determining the versions of local GIT working copies that
> are registered with "add-path" or "add-local". "git" is invoked
> for that for each working copy, which simply takes time if
> there are many of those registered. I'm currently looking into
> a version cache feature that would make this faster.
>  - Querying code.dlang.org for new package versions to display
> upgrade suggestions. This takes a moment, but is only done at
> most once a day.
>  - Resolving dependencies currently suffers from a performance
> bug that can cause the resolution time to grow almost
> indefinitely.
>
> To see which of those is responsible, running with the -v
> switch may give some insights.

Don't bother with this problem if there is only one complain.

Finally my IDE fully interprets the JSON. I think that even if
you would manage to make the process faster there's still be this
*little too much* that makes it unsable in Coedit because in the
dedicated widget DUB properties are modifiable, can be added or
removed from the GUI.