Moving back to .NET

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 22 04:01:27 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 20 September 2015 at 17:32:53 UTC, Adam wrote:

> It's almost exclusively due to the error messages and IDE. I
> know many here will write off such complaints, So be it.

The thing is that a lot of people who use D don't mind the lack
of IDE support. One reason is that D doesn't need it as badly as
e.g. Java or C++. Once you are comfortable with the idea of
component programming, there's less need for an IDE. I don't know
about .NET, but Java programs consist usually of classes that are
somehow interwoven. In D you'd go for independent components that
you can later stick together like Lego. I usually write new
components as tiny projects with unit tests etc., and plug them
into the big project once I'm happy with them. In this way, you
don't work on the big project all the time, mostly on small
components you add to the big project later.

> Remember, no reason to have the sharpest sword if you can't
> wield it.

Another reason is that for D programmers the power of D outweighs
the lack of IDE support. While you may have an easy life with
IDE-languages like Java or C#, the frustration of not being able
to do certain things, to be confined by committee decisions etc.,
is worse in the long run. So D people prefer to learn how to
wield the sharpest sword, although it may take some time. It's
like everything in life, really, if you take the hard way, you'll
get more out of it in the long run.

So don't give up. Maybe D will come to the rescue one day, when
you hit a brick wall with .NET ;)

PS As to error messages, you'll soon know the "usual suspects".