Indicators and traction…

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 23 05:19:36 PDT 2015

Having just done a session at PyConUK 2015 aimed at weaning people of
pure Python and into polyglot – Python with (C++|D|Chapel) (there
should have been a Rust bit but…) – and as people probably heard the D
bit was a bit embarrassing for me, I got some interesting comments
during the rest of the conference.

The most important can be paraphrased as "I had heard of D but as it
was getting no traction, I never looked at it again."

This would seem to indicate that D really does need to have a marketing
campaign to show it does have traction and isn't just a little ghetto
as so many languages end up in. D's forays into AAA games, finance,
etc. all need to get permanent presence. In this respect, Reddit is
(almost) an irrelevance: bulk perception is unaffected by Reddit, most
programmers do not even look at it, let alone follow it. It would be
nice if Tiobe and the like were an irrelevance, but that is less so.

Having active regional groups is a first important factor, and that is
happening, though perhaps less than would be good. Having lots of
projects on GitHub (and BitBucket) that get noticed. Clearly everyone
is fighting JavaScript, but that is not an issue for D per se. Go,
Rust, C++, C are the "enemy".

Maybe discuss this a bit at the coming London D Meeting – which sadly
clashes with the London Go Meeting…

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk