Indicators and traction…

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 23 08:12:12 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 23 September 2015 at 12:19:48 UTC, Russel Winder
wrote:

> Having active regional groups is a first important factor, and
> that is happening, though perhaps less than would be good.
> Having lots of projects on GitHub (and BitBucket) that get
> noticed. Clearly everyone is fighting JavaScript, but that is
> not an issue for D per se. Go, Rust, C++, C are the "enemy".
>
> Maybe discuss this a bit at the coming London D Meeting – which
> sadly clashes with the London Go Meeting…

Nobody uses a language because the language is good, they use it
for what they can get done with it.

If someone wants to write a web app, they can look at vibe.d, but
they will find documentation written for experts. I was
thoroughly confused when I tried to read it (probably because
I've only done a limited amount of web programming) but I wrote a
minimal, working PHP app in 30 minutes.

If someone wants to write a GUI app, they can look at gtkd, but
I'm not sure how many will stick around when they click on the
documentation link and encounter this:
http://api.gtkd.org/src/gtk/AboutDialog.html

Someone wanting to do scientific programming is going to have to
reinvent the wheel. Hopefully that will change, but it's the
current state of affairs. I can even point to my own project to
embed D in R, a project that works but that I wouldn't recommend,
because it's neither properly documented or finished.

I'm sure others could add to the list. Once these things are
under control, we can worry about marketing.