pragma(inline, true) not very useful in its current state?

David Nadlinger via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 24 08:47:43 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I'm not even referring to the multitude of restrictions in the
DMD frontend inliner here. When looking into the remaining 2.068
test failures for LDC, I was surprised to find out that DMD only
honors pragma(inline, true) when -inline is actually passed on
the command line.

This seems to be completely against what many people I spoke to
(including, of course, our resident Mr.
Why-Can't-D-Be-More-Like-C++, Manu Evans) cite as one of the
primary use cases for the feature, which is to force inlining of
certain functions even in debug builds.

What were the reasons behind this decision?

  — David