Moving back to .NET

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 24 20:00:10 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 23 September 2015 at 22:12:47 UTC, Idan Arye wrote:
> On Wednesday, 23 September 2015 at 20:41:38 UTC, rumbu wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 23 September 2015 at 19:52:11 UTC, Paolo

>>> Nice to meet you, rumbu!
>>> Now you know one!
>>>
>>> ;-P
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Paolo
>>
>> Nice to meet you too, Paolo. Browsing through your posts, I
>> saw that you are using "mainly Mono-D" :) Don't tell me that
>> you are coloring the keywords in your code using a marker.
>
> "Not using an IDE" does not mean "programming with cat" - most
> text editors have syntax highlighting...
>
> Anyways, I've also used to be one of these Windows developers
> masochistic enough to use the command line. I've used it back
> when I was programming in C#, which means I had to write
> .csproj files by hand(deep down they resemble Ant, but Visual
> Studio seems to be writing all sorts of crap in there) and
> build the projects from the command line using MSBuild, but it
> was worth it because it means I could build seamlessly from
> Vim, and I could write deployment scripts that run on the
> server.
>
> That being said - when I said "used to be" it's not because I'm
> no longer a "masochist", but because I'm no longer a Windows
> developer(so yes, I'm no longer a masochist...) - so you can
> say I was already in the Linux developer mindset and it's no
> surprise I preferred the command line. Even back then, I was
> disturbed by the fact that so many programmers feel
> uncomfortable with the idea of typing textual commands to make
> computers do things...

I, for one, was very excited when I found out that you could
actually run VS builds from the command line rather than having
to open up VS. And at my last job, I redid our build stuff so
that we used cmake to generate the build stuff for both Linux and
Windows so that we didn't have two build systems to maintain, and
with that, the _only_ reason that I ever had to open up VS was to
debug on Windows. It was great.

Unfortunately, at my current job, we're entirely Windows, so
everything's a huge mess in VS rather than using cmake, and most
of the devs are totally Windows devs, so they'd probably freak
out at the idea that the .vcproj files are generated, and you
don't edit any settings inside of VS. So, there's no way that I'm
going to get the beauty of cmake again here. I'm forced to open
up VS more - and we're using the muck that is TFS, which pretty
much requires opening up VS to manage source control (though the
TFS power tools help). So, unfortunately, I end up having VS open
almost all the time now, even if I almost never use it for
editing. Windows _really_ isn't for me, but when it's what's used
at your job, you don't have much choice...

I do kind of wonder though what MS would do if the majority of
Windows programmers really got a taste of how great the command
line is and started complaining to MS en masse about how MS needs
to have a proper command line - preferably even port over
something like bash or zsh with all of the fantastic tools that
come with that. I don't see any reason why they couldn't do that,
but they're completely focused on GUIs and doing their own thing.

- Jonathan M Davis