Moving back to .NET

rumbu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 25 00:26:12 PDT 2015

On Friday, 25 September 2015 at 04:38:36 UTC, Rikki Cattermole
wrote:
> On 25/09/15 4:11 PM, Sebastiaan Koppe wrote:
>> On Friday, 25 September 2015 at 03:00:12 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
>> wrote:
>>> I do kind of wonder though what MS would do if the majority
>>> of Windows
>>> programmers really got a taste of how great the command line
>>> is and
>>> started complaining to MS en masse about how MS needs to have
>>> a proper
>>> command line - preferably even port over something like bash
>>> or zsh
>>> with all of the fantastic tools that come with that. I don't
>>> see any
>>> reason why they couldn't do that, but they're completely
>>> focused on
>>> GUIs and doing their own thing.
>>>
>>> - Jonathan M Davis
>>
>> Probably nothing, since they have PowerShell
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_PowerShell#Comparison_of_cmdlets_with_similar_commands
>>

> Unfortunately yup that is there replacement.
> Funny thing, the only people really using it are networkers.
> Not programmers. Who would have thought?
> Even though it is C# like and supports .net libs.

This is not funny even for an Windows admin. Managing Microsoft
Exchange is done 90% from command line, and our mail admin is
complaining constantly for the lack of desktop tools (we even
bought some gui tools for that). Luckily, the last Exchange
version has a nice web interface for administration. Command line
is limited for visual tasks like adding and resizing pictures of
the employees in the address book, for example.

I don't buy this, command line is something obsolete compared to
any gui/web interface, at least in Windows world.

Starting Visual Studio on my machine takes 2 seconds, i don't buy
either the fact it's easier to write your own batch file to
compile code instead of clicking some checkboxes or switching
instantly between Debug/Release versions of your code. And I
don't use dub, last time I checked, it's messing with my AppData
folder. I prefer to press F6 to compile my code.