Moving back to .NET

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 25 01:41:55 PDT 2015

On Friday, 25 September 2015 at 05:55:08 UTC, jdeath wrote:
> you guys are nuts.
> instead of thinking about this shit, you should think about how
> to make D usable for windows programmers.
> don't think about linux crutsches. in my company people are not
> even willing to think about D, since it has stone age tools,
> few usable libraries and is changing at a rate that is
> incredible.
> now c# will be compiled to machine code - people you lost.

There are people working on writing and supporting tools that fit
better with the mindset of many Windows-centric devs (e.g. that's
why we have VisualD). But for the most part, the kinds of folks
who have been using D don't seem to care much about that sort of
thing, and there's tons of other stuff to work on, so many of
them work on other stuff. With open source projects, folks tend
to work on what they care about or view as important. For some
folks, that's IDEs and build tools and the like, but for many
others, it's the language itself or libraries.

You can choose to use D or not, and you can choose to work on
D-related stuff or not (which could be GUI-centric tools if
that's what you care about), but just because you want something
doesn't mean that that's what the other folks working on a
project want or care about it, and just because the folks that
you work with don't like where D is with Windows-centric tools
doesn't mean that D is a lost cause. It just means that it
doesn't fit what you're looking for right now.

- Jonathan M Davis