Pathing in the D ecosystem is generally broken (at least on windows)

John Colvin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 25 02:03:33 PDT 2015

On Friday, 25 September 2015 at 00:25:54 UTC, Manu wrote:
> I update DMD yesterday, it couldn't work out where it was
> installed and the uninstall fails, then complains and errors
> when trying to install over the failed uninstall, requiring
> manual intervention.
>
> [...]

There seems to be a trend here:
Windows devs have problems getting D to install/work correctly on
their machines.
Non-windows devs boot up windows and test it and it works fine
for them (In this case that was me).

I seriously doubt that much progress will be made here unless
some dedicated full-time modern Windows developers take over or
at least significantly help with the installer code. Someone like
you has years of experience and knowledge about what are good/bad
solutions on windows, what workarounds/hacks are OK and which
will be abhorrent to users, what will likely break in newer
versions of windows/VS etc. etc. etc.

Realistically, no-one except an experienced full-time windows
developer is ever going to get this right.