Pathing in the D ecosystem is generally broken (at least on windows)

ponce via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 25 02:55:54 PDT 2015

On Friday, 25 September 2015 at 00:25:54 UTC, Manu wrote:
> As a rule, no tool should ever require a windows user to
> interact with their path variable. It's a colossal mess,
> windows doesn't do 'PATH'. Mine has an endless list of bin
> directories, and many/most of them provide duplicates of the
> same programs. A robust program can never rely on PATH.

I also got the same problems.

For LDC is is currently necessary to have VS2015 and fix-up paths
like that:

The PATH varible should preferably omit the DMD path and include:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\bin
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE

The LIB env-variable should have the paths:
     C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
14.0\VC\LIB\amd64
     C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows
Kits\10\lib\10.0.10150.0\ucrt\x64
     C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\NETFXSDK\4.6\lib\um\x64
     C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\lib\winv6.3\um\x64

Super-annoying to do so I have a tool that call DUB frontend to
do that (it also build Mac bundles).

I'm not sure whose job it is to put things in PATH or LIB. But as
it is, everyone that tries will stumble onto this.