Moving back to .NET

Bruno Medeiros via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 25 04:24:00 PDT 2015

On 23/09/2015 22:02, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
>> IDE is not just a nice interface to write code. It's a way to organize
>> files, AST based file browsing, github integration, and - the most
>> important aspect for me - is the *integrated debugging support*. I'll
>> never use dmd from command line and the lack of IDE support would be
>> definitely a stopper for me.
>
> While it is easy to agree with you, I don't think a lack of IDE or even
> libraries is something one should expect to be addressed by the language
> developer. Those are issues one can find solutions to if D is suitable
> and different people have different taste. Go and Rust have been in the
> same boat. This is not a show stopper...

Dunno if "expect" is the right word, but a language team that puts IDE
support as part of its development effort, will have a big competitive
advantage.

D is not on the same boat as Rust here. The Rust team is investing much
more in toolchain support (beyond the compiler and basic tools). For
example, they contracted an external developer to help them with
debugger issues
(https://michaelwoerister.github.io/2014/02/28/mozilla-contract.html).
And more than that, they are also now effecting plans to improve their
tools (or create new ones) to support IDE functionality (
https://github.com/nrc/rfcs/blob/2410d2ce1682813ea79debbf13a99868e6a6bd8a/text/0000-ide.md
)

--
Bruno Medeiros