Moving back to .NET

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 25 07:21:54 PDT 2015

On Friday, 25 September 2015 at 13:54:40 UTC, Chris wrote:
> full-fledged IDE, there would be other concerns (or excuses). D
> scares people away. It's too raw, too bare bones, everything is
> still moving like hot lava, and maybe people are intimidated by

Yes, stability is important for commercial development. I notice
some people say that you can just lock yourself to a particular
compiler, but this does not work. Not even for C++. Yesterday I
had to upgrade to a more recent version of clang just to get a
library to work, which used some C++14 features.

Yet, it would be a tragedy for D to freeze on backwards
compatibility like C++ has done. Rust and D has the advantage
that they can move forward faster than C++. Having lots of
commerical development in D right now would just be a drag, IMO.

Though, I think a lighter version of D geared towards embedded
and asm.js could be a good commercial option (no gc in release,
no exceptions, no classes, no growable slices etc). Basically
enter a market where there is less competition (just C and
perhaps Rust).