Moving back to .NET

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 25 08:00:14 PDT 2015

On Friday, 25 September 2015 at 14:27:25 UTC, David DeWitt wrote:
> Look at Node thats stuff changes like every hour yet ppl still
> use it.

I'll never understand why anyone would use node.js. The only
explanation is that they are hellbent on using javascript for
everything? But I guess it is no worse than Php and Perl... so
who am I to judge.

> Angular 2 is breaking stuff,

Angular 1 users complain loudly, but Google do what they want,
and they had to change because of the competition from other
frameworks.

> changing for the next release, Rust is still changing.

The adoption of Rust is not high AFAICT and library dependencies
are not high either, but the Rust devs claim that Rust 1.4 will
be "stable and suitable for commercial"? Who knows. I think the
current attention is more a sign of people evaluating Rust than
actual usage, but I could be wrong. I would wait at least 1 year
before adopting it.

> anything.  I think we have a few decent IDE choices but they
> prolly just need work.  Do ppl really use and IDE with Go/Rust
> though?

Emacs? I think Dart got some attention because of their rather
good Eclipse integration, but it did not lead to a lot of user
contribution. I think the Dart IDE primarily attracted people
looking to create apps and not infrastructure. Google eventually
dropped the Dart IDE (and by that time it had some annoying
regressions).

It says a lot that Google does not focus on IDE development for
their own langauges, but only focus on the code that can feeds
IDEs with semantic information. A good reason is that it is
expensive to do well, comes with a never ending maintenance cost,
and once you get traction commercial IDEs will blow you out of
the water anyway... So, it's an all-for-nothing investment.

Unless the language is the IDE (e.g. graphical diagrams, REPL
etc).