Pathing in the D ecosystem is generally broken (at least on windows)

Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 25 09:43:47 PDT 2015

On Friday, 25 September 2015 at 09:58:16 UTC, ponce wrote:
> On Friday, 25 September 2015 at 00:25:54 UTC, Manu wrote:
>> I update DMD yesterday, it couldn't work out where it was
>> installed and the uninstall fails, then complains and errors
>> when trying to install over the failed uninstall, requiring
>> manual intervention.
>
> I don't use the D installer because I don't trust it to deal
> with PATH correctly.

I use the installer just so I don't have to configure the VS
paths, but I tell it not to modify the PATH variable. I also have
a desktop shortcut configured to launch this:

%comspec% /k ""C:\D\dmd.bat""

Where dmd.bat is:
@set PATH=C:\dev\d\mars\dm\bin;%PATH%
@set PATH=%~dp0dmd2\windows\bin;%PATH%
@set PATH=%~dp0dmd2\windows\bin64;%PATH%
@set DC=dmd

And when I need to use a different version of the compiler, I use
dvm. No problems so far.