D ranked as #25 by IEEE spectrum

deadalnix via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 25 12:11:28 PDT 2015

On Friday, 25 September 2015 at 09:17:46 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> On Friday, 25 September 2015 at 08:45:08 UTC, Kagamin wrote:

>>> I don't really disagree about D not being so useful for
>>> desktop apps, thanks to the GUI situation.
>>
>> Does C fare better here (listed for desktop development)?
>
> Well, gnome is written entirely in C AFAIK, so it's definitely
> possible to write full-scale desktop applications in C without
> C++. But off the top of my head, I don't know of any C GUI
> toolkits other than GTK. All the rest are C++. And honestly, I
> don't understand why anyone would write large applications in C
> instead of C++, but there are definitely folks that prefer to
> do that.

It turns out I worked on gnome. It is indeed mostly in C. It is
also a very good example of horribly screwed up codebase. Most of
it simply doesn't compile on a regular basis to the point that
getting a build of gnome is near impossible. Updating anything is
breakign radom shit all over the place and the code is incredibly
fragile.

Some components are broken for years, everybody knows it, there
are even mock up to replace them, but it is near impossible to
make it happen.

See for example: https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/OS/Tabs

Long story short, Gnome is really not the project you want to
imitate in any ways.